University of Alberta SLOWPOKE-2 Research Reactor
University of Alberta owns and is licensed to operate the Slowpoke-2 Research Reactor, located in Edmonton, AB. The CNSC has full-time, dedicated staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility information
- Latest CNSC facility-specific announcements
- Disclosure protocol
- Regulatory reporting
- Other key topics
Location: Edmonton, AB
Licensee: University of Alberta
Licence issued: July 1, 2013
Licence expires: June 30, 2023
Start of commercial operation: 1977
Licensing documentation: Request a copy of University of Alberta’s SLOWPOKE 2 Research Reactor licence and licence conditions handbook by email
The SLOWPOKE-2 reactor is a 20 kilowatt (thermal) sealed-container in-pool type research reactor located in the Dentistry/Pharmacy Building on the University of Alberta campus in Edmonton, AB.
Latest CNSC facility-specific announcements
- August 15, 2017: Commission to consider an application from the University of Alberta (U of A) to amend its non-power reactor operating licence. Proposed licence amendment would authorize the U of A to decommission the facility.
- June 27, 2013: CNSC renews University of Alberta's SLOWPOKE-2 reactor
As part of the CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place. To obtain more information, visit the University of Alberta’s Public Information and Disclosure Program Web page.
- Regulatory actions
- Licensing requirements for Class II nuclear facilities
- Nuclear-related event reports
Other key topics
- Date modified: